Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to the questions we get asked the most.

Looking for CHC 2.0 FAQs?
Who can we help?

Kent County households experiencing a housing crisis.

Is there a place to find other community resources?

We have curated a list of resources that may be available to you. You can access that list here.

What is a housing crisis?

Those experiencing a housing crisis may be residing outdoors, in their car, or at a park, staying in an emergency shelter, motel, or hotel. Those at risk of losing their housing are also experiencing a housing crisis.

Why do you use the word ‘consumer’ to talk about the people you work with?

We know that the words we use can have big impact on the way we think about people and about the world we live in. We use ‘consumer’ because like consumers of any product or service, the folks we work with have choice and may identify with a multitude of identities beyond their economic or housing situation.

Do you provide emergency shelter?

Community Housing Connect you helps you navigate your unique plan to stable housing. If you are looking for emergency shelter, please call the United Way 211.

I’m already working with a housing provider, should I still fill out this form?

If you are currently working with another organization focused on housing, it is best for you to continue to work with that organization.

How do I file a grievance or complaint?

We respect the right of all individuals and families to be heard, informed, and involved in decision-making in matters affecting them. You have the right to grieve, complain, or appeal any decision or actions impacting your life or the lives of your children. Prior to filing a grievance, we hope that you will attempt to talk to your Solution Specialist. If you do not feel like you can talk to that person, or the Solution Specialist is the person you are having a problem with, please contact us. Please include a description of the problem, when the problem occurred, what you have done to try to resolve the problems and what you would like to see us do to resolve the problem. We will promptly respond to your request. If your complaint or grievance is not able to be resolved we will provide you with all the information necessary to submit your complaint to our local Coordinated Entry Committee.

Who is behind Community Housing Connect?

Community Housing Connect is designed and managed by Community Rebuilders in coordination with Kent County Coordinated Entry-HAP, operated by The Salvation Army

G.R.A.C.E. Network Organizations play a vital role in providing services and resources through Community Housing Connect.